23 March 2013

Egg Transfer

Hello Everyone!

Today Phil and i made our way to Bourn Hall for our egg transfer at 10am. Typically it was snowing when we left our house at 8am and all the way to the clinic but we got there safe still, and early!

After a short wait we went into a little room to go through various things. These included questions about how i was feeling after the egg collection on Thursday, how the egg transfer was going to be done and what the process was for the weeks ahead. After that we went into a waiting area, which was really lovely. I had to have a full bladder for the procedure so kept drinking lots of water. Towards the end i was absolutely bursting!

A nurse came to collect us both and take us into the theatre where we were greeted by the embryologist. Phil and i were both nervous about our 3 little embryo's and whether they were of good quality, or even if we still had them! The embryologist just jumped straight into it and told us that they had already frozen 2 of the embryo's (this was such a shock as they only freeze good embryo's at minimum!) and that we had 1 top quality embryo to use today.

To say we were pleased is a severe understatement! All of our 3 embryo's survived and made it to this point and the 1 we were using was a top quality one... wow... my lucky pants have done it again!

Then i was asked to strip from the waist down and put on a hospital gown, hop on the bed, put my legs in the stirrups and relax... i was so worried that i was going to wee on the doctor at this point! Ha ha. With Phil sitting to one side of me and the ultrasound machine on the other side the doctor eased the speculum into my lady bits, which was not too bad. Then the embryologist brought our wonderful embryo into the room in a long syringe/tube thing and the doctor fed the tube (which is similar to a catheter) into my womb. It was magical as we could see it weaving into my womb on the ultrasound machine.

Then the doctor released the embryo (which we again saw, although it was very small) and removed the tube so that the embryologist could check that the embryo was not in it still. Then the speculum was removed and i was told to just relax for a few minutes before getting up and getting dressed. Then we left the clinic (not before having a wee of course!).

On the drive home we stopped at a 'Welcome Break' services to have something for lunch, and then as we were leaving Phil treated me to a Krispy Kreme donut and a Starbucks Frappuccino, he said that he didn't want anything but as we were waiting for my order there was a lady who's latte was made wrong so it was offered out. Talk about being in the right place at the right time! Phil had himself a fratte (a free-latte)!

All in all today has been fantastic, much better than expected. I was so worried about having a 2 day transfer, about the egg quality not being great and about the 3 embryo's not surviving but nothing bad happened... everything went so well!

I can finally say we are PUPO!

So now it is just a case of keeping this little one safe and hoping it implants well and grows into our first little baby.

The 2 week wait is upon us, fingers crossed for a positive result!

Take Care All x